Invitation to Apply for Participation
We have the pleasure to announce the next session of ISMUN Summer School on Human Rights and Development which will be held in Geneva from 11 to 15 July, 2022.
It is organised by the International Youth and Student Movement for the United Nations (ISMUN), an NGO with consultative status at the UN and a long-standing involvement with the UN Human Rights work. As in previous years the Summer School will be led by a team of experienced academics and NGO leaders.
ISMUN Summer School is an opportunity to learn about the UN Human Rights system and to interact with prominent experts. Lectures will be given by academics specialized in Human Rights, Human Rights Council special rapporteurs, UN officials, diplomats and NGO representatives working on key issues.
The main topics of the Summer School will focus on social and economic rights, with an emphasis on the right to development.
The Summer School will also follow up on the 20th Anniversary of the adoption of the Durban Declaration and Programme of Action, the key UN framework for combating racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance.
The 2022 programme will include:
- Introduction to the UN Human Rights system and its components;
- Learning how to interact with the different parts of the UN Human Rights system.
- The current global development situation and challenges for multilateralism;
- Climate Emergency – new human rights priority.
- Covid 19 Pandemic – global vaccine solidarity
- Mobilizing and scaling up resources for global needs.
- The UN combat against racism and the Decade for People of African Descent.
- Key social and economic rights issues, such as right to food, water, education, housing;
- The right to health;
- The right to development;
- Rights of women and children;
- Environment and development
- Migrant and refugee rights;
- Right to peace;
- The role of the international financial institutions;
- Toward a new convention TNCs and human rights.
On completion of the Summer School the participants will receive a certificate.
The ISMUN Summer School 2022 is held at time of many global crisis situations when the need to take decisive action for global justice and development through multilateralism and a strengthened United Nations is greater than ever. This is particular the case in view of the climate emergency and the ongoing pandemic. There is an urgent need to address the weak support from major countries of the UN and the UN budget crisis. Without the mobilisation of a well informed public opinion by people of various ages in all regions, the UN will not be able to meet and implement its agreed 2030 Development Agenda, and its Development and Human Rights targets for all.
The Summer School will emphasize the need to equally implement the full UN Human Rights agreements, civil and political rights as well as social and economic rights, including the right to development.
The Summer School is offered at the low fee of 230.- CHF , which includes the full programme, study materia, and certificate on completion of the Summer School.
Only a limited number of participants can be accepted for this high-quality training programme and this will be on a first-come, first-served basis.
By E-mail, Fax or Online
Fax: +41 (0)22 545–7943
After submission of their application form, applicants will be informed as to whether they have been accepted for the school and any further information on the Summer School. Afterwards, details on payment of participation fees will be sent.